Is Email Marketing still relevant?

What a great question! Because I know engaging with a number of different clients, the ‘general’ response is, email doesn’t work because nobody opens them. Well, I am sorry to say, but they are missing out and they probably just haven’t taken the time to understand who they are talking to and what it is they really want to hear! Remember, it is no longer about you!

So, to kick off, let’s look at a few statistics before answering this question.

Statistics about email you may want to know

  • In 2022, the number of email users worldwide is forecasted at 4.3 billion
  • You can reach people through email marketing 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
  • 333.2 billion emails are expected to be sent and received each day (Statista, 2021)
  • For every $1 you spend on emails marketing, you can expect an average return of $42
  • The latest statistics show that as many as 87 percent of marketers use email marketing to disseminate their content (Content Marketing Institute, 2020). This makes email the second most popular content distribution channel, just behind social media at 89 percent
  • According to the data, 81% of SMBs still rely on email as their primary customer acquisition channel, and 80% for retention (Emarsys, 2018)
  • Emails with personalised subject lines generate 50% higher open rates
  • Reports have shown that adding videos to your email can increase click rates by 300% (Martech Advisor’s 2017 data).

Why email Marketing is still relevant?

Did you know? At any one point of time, only 3% of people are buying, whilst the other 97% are shopping. Well, some are not even aware of a problem they have. So how are we going to get the attention of the 97% of people ‘not actively buying’?

We need to create great content and deliver it to them, where they are at, to get their attention, increase awareness and get them to take action. Out of all the media I can think of, to be honest, email Marketing ticks all these boxes and therefore I still believe it is still relevant.

If fact I came up with this analogy to explain the power of email – but yes, if done correctly:

Educate: Ensure your content educates (even entertains)
Maintain: Continue to send emails on a weekly or monthly basis, if you start don’t stop
Awareness: Delivering consistent emails with great content will increase your awareness
Interest: Increasing your awareness increases the prospect customer’s interest in you and what it is you have to offer
Loyal Customers: Once they have taken action you can continue to email them to maintain the relationship and build strong loyal relationships with your customers (so it works well to retain customers too)

But how can you create emails that work?

Create an email sequence with your prospect customer in mind, and where they are at in the buyer journey. Equipped with a clear target market persona and having a clear objective of the email sequence, you can then create email content that educates them on the benefits of your product and how it can make their life so much better!

Email sequences tend to work well to help you create good content because they give us the opportunity to create a story line that we can carry over several different emails to create excitement and perhaps anticipation too, rather than selling from the offset to our prospect customers, because then you have a greater chance of them reading it and not just deleting it. It also gives us the ability to create different sequences to send the prospect customer on a different email sequence as they stick around to get to know us. Typically starting with a ‘welcome’ or join the club email to getting to know more about how you can help them and who you have helped.

Some people ask what the ideal duration is of a sequence, but it all depends on the buyer persona, the buyer’s journey stage, and the average sales cycle length of your business. It will also depend on what you’re hoping to accomplish with the sequence.

In closing, the relevancy of email

Based on some of the statistics above and the power of using email to communicate to a captured audience in the comfort of their home, email is one of the most powerful Marketing tools today, making it relevant. Here are some reasons why:

  1. Everyone uses email
  2. Mobile devices allow people to instantly check emails
  3. Email is a great way to inform your customers
  4. Email lets you build brand awareness and appeal
  5. Email is perfect for personalised, targeted messaging
  6. Email inspires action
  7. Email builds relationships and credibility
  8. Email is measurable
  9. Email marketing is easy to adjust
  10. Email and marketing automation allows you create awareness while you are sleeping

If you enjoyed reading this blog leave a comment or book a free 30min strategy call with me

Is your Marketing working?

Share on Social Media

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top